We’re taking steps to help our California members and emergency personnel impacted by wild fires. Here’s what members who live anywhere in California need to know:
- If you have an Anthem prescription drug plan you can get up to a 30-day emergency refill of their medications at any pharmacy now.
- If you use Anthem’s mail-order pharmacy you can update your temporary mailing address information by calling us.
- Time limits for prior authorization, pre-certification or referral requirements will be relaxed – there will be no late penalties. Please call us for an extension if you need it.
- You can get replacement medical equipment (also called Durable Medical Equipment or DME) if yours was lost or damaged.
- You and your doctors are being given more time to file claims, if needed. Please call us for an extension if you need it.
- You can get emergency or urgent care services by doctors and hospitals, even if they’re not in your plan network – and claims will be paid as if they’re in your network.
- If your in-network provider is unavailable due to the disaster, or not available because you are out of the area due to a displacement as a result of the disaster, please call us and we will help you find a new provider.
- If you are currently participating in a care management program, and need to reach them, please contact Anthem toll-free at (833) 285-4030.
- If you receive a bill directly from Anthem for your monthly insurance premium and are experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the disaster, please call us to discuss options.
- Members with Anthem Blue View Vision can contact us at (833) 285-4030 to request the following:
- Out of network coverage at in-network benefit levels for emergent and urgent claims only
- Replacement vision supplies if yours are lost or damaged (beyond frequency limits)
- More time to file claims, if needed
- Anthem’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides support services to help you with stressful situations and financial or legal concerns. You can access EAP at no cost. Call our 24/7 crisis line toll-free at (877) 208-8240.
These relaxed guidelines were previously effective from October 11, 2019 through November 10, 2019 for impacted members in Los Angeles and Sonoma counties. Effective October 25, 2019 through December 2, 2019 the relaxed guidelines are extended to impacted members who live in any part of California. They apply to members with Anthem group or individual and family health plans. They do not apply to Federal Employee Health Benefit Plan members, Medi-Cal, Medicare Advantage, and Medicare Part D plans – these programs have their own specific guidelines.
Finding health care during the California wild fires
Wild fires are causing some health care facilities to shut down. This may mean members will need to use a different health care provider. Here are some ways members can find options quickly.
- Search for care with Find a Doctor
Members can search for health care providers at anthem.com/ca/find-doctor. They can log in to the secure portal for a customized search in their health plan’s network. This flyer explains how to search for a doctor.
- Use LiveHealth Online
LiveHealth Online lets members have a video visit with a board certified doctor using their smartphone, tablet or computer with a webcam. No appointments, no driving and no waiting at an urgent care center. Doctors are available 24/7 to assess their condition and, if needed, send a prescription to their local pharmacy. Read this flyer to learn more about LiveHealth Online.