Date: November 9, 2018
Attn: Core and Premier Accounts
There are a number of wildfires underway in California. We are working hard to ensure the safety and care of all Blue Shield of California members.
Mandatory evacuations have been ordered for:
- The Hill Fire (Ventura County) is at ~10,000 acres in size. Mandatory evacuations are in zip codes, 93010, 93012, and 93066. New zip codes affected are 93041, 93033, and 91320.
- New Woolsey Fire (LA and Ventura County is at 8,000 acres in size. Mandatory evacuations are in 91361, 91362, 91301, 91302, 91367, 91377, 90265, 90263, 91307, 91360, and 93065.
- The Camp Fire (Butte County) is 20,000 acres in size. Mandatory evacuations are in zip codes 95969, 95965, 95967, 95928, and 95954. New zip code 95978.
Blue Shield’s response to fires:
- We are allowing the immediate refill of prescriptions for members in mandatory evacuation zones even if they are not due to be refilled.
- Medical Care Solutions will reach out to members in care and disease management programs in mandatory evacuation areas to ensure continuity of care for these members.
- Magellan Health, Blue Shield’s contracted managed care plan for behavioral health, is providing free access to resources, materials and counseling services through its dedicated hotline: 1-800-327-7451.
- Blue Shield vision plan members in fire areas can obtain a replacement pair of lost or broken glasses and can use out-of-network providers as needed with claims paid at in-network costs. Please contact Vision Customer Service for assistance, (877) 601-9083.
- Members that need immediate assistance should call the customer service at (800) 393-6130.
- Members who may have lost or misplaced their identification card can print a new card on our website at blueshieldca.com. Alternatively, members can use the Blue Shield of California mobile app to access their ID card on their mobile device.
- Additionally, there are a few medical facilities that have been evacuated. Blue Shield of California is working with our providers to ensure continuity of care for affected members. Our focus at this time is ensuring the safety of all affected members and responding to their immediate care needs. As more information is available we will be providing updates.
Visit our website for additional information.
Read the press release issued this morning.
Stay tuned for additional updates as they become available.